Common Waterproofing Problems
- Leaks to shower trays & floor areas which in turn cause water damage to surrounding areas
- Wet rot caused by moisture saturation to timber wall frame, floor timbers, floor boards, door jambs etc.
- Stains and mould to floor and wall linings
- Breaking down of wall and ceiling gyprock linings
- Damage to bathroom vanity units
- Carpet damage
- Termites etc
All resulting in costly repairs and rectifications.
- Poor workmanship
- Inferior knowledge and application of product used
- Wrong product used for specific job
- Absent fall from floor tiles to floor waste
- Drainage problems
- Insufficient drying time
- Poor job preparation and planning
- Existing water proofing membrane old or failing
Faulty or inadequate waterproofing does cause major, costly, damage and problems in the building industry.
BATHROOOMS, SHOWERS, TOILETS & LAUNDRY
Due to the constant traffic and use of these areas, it is imperative the product used compliments not only the style of your bathroom but also the construction and design. Problems can arise if the workmanship to these areas is faulty or not completed properly and can result in not only high cost repair bills but also some of the following:
- Timer rot to flooring, wall frame and upstairs flooring timbers.
- Breakdown of wall and ceiling linings
- Timber rot areas can also attract termites which can destroy your building
When tap flanges, floor wastes, shower angles, hobs & door edge angles are installed incorrectly this can also be another area of concern and a costly problem.
BALCONIES AND PATIOS
One of the main problems and complaints in new houses & renovations stem from balconies and patios leaking. Some of the main causes include:
- Membrane failure
- Wrong product choice
- Poor application of product
- Poor design and construction i.e. Unacceptable step downs, insufficient fall, balustrade fixing.
The product used for Balconies and Patios needs to be a high trafficable membrane able to withstand all thermal situations and building movement.
In many cases people pay for expensive timber or cement sheet flooring only to see it fail due to the wrong product choice or incorrect fixing.